Thursday, April 25, 2013

Custom Mason Jar Light Fixture

Thanks to Kara Paslay for posting an amazing set of instructions for this project.  You can find them at: http://karapaslaydesigns.blogspot.com/2010/03/diy-mason-jar-chandelier.html

I changed my design a little.  Instead of using 21 jars, I used 7 antique blue jars.  I ended up finding these antiques at a few different antique shops.  You can get on your local craigslist or Ebay and you'll be able to find them.   I was able to get 2 Ball jars that are from before 1910!  Seeing as my house was built in 1923, I was very excited to have a little bit of vintage and modern come together!

The other thing that I changed was the cord.  I used a yellow fabric wrapped cord from http://www.colorcord.com for only $1.50 per foot.  They're website was very user friendly and they shipped quickly.  They sell all different colors but I yellow had a night contrasting effect.

I bought the ceiling cap from home depot for $5.99, came with all the pieces that you needed to be able to mount the fixture.  The nice thing is that it looks just like a jar lid, so it fits right in!

Only key to this project is that when you are ready to mount the fixture, take the jars off of the lids, this makes it much lighter and easier to handle.  I would however still suggest that you do the weight and strength test prior to mounting it to the ceiling, but this does make it more manageable.

Here a few photos from the finished project:




Can't wait to make another one!
Happy home renovating!

No comments:

Post a Comment